Seasonal flu is a highly infectious illness caused by a flu virus. The virus infects your lungs and upper airways, causing a sudden high temperature and general aches and pains. You could also lose your appetite, feel nauseous and have a dry cough. Symptoms can last for up to a week.
You may be invited for a flu jab if you are:
- are 65 years of age or over
- are pregnant
- have certain medical conditions
- are living in a long-stay residential care home or other long-stay care facility
- receive a carer’s allowance, or you are the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
- or have a serious long-term health condition, including:
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS
- being seriously overweight (BMI of 40 or above)
- eligible children who are aged 2 and 3 on 31st August 2018 – that is, children born between September 1 2014 and August 31 2016
- Children who are 4 years old are also eligible for flu vaccination provided they were 3 on August 31 2018. These children should be offered the vaccination at their general practice.
- Children in reception class and school years 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be offered their vaccination in school. In a couple of areas it might be offered in primary care settings.
Our Flu Clinics
Over 65 Flu Injections (Limited Availability)
Please contact the practice or your local pharmacy to check stock availability for FLUAD Influenza Vaccines.
FLUAD Flu clinic’s will be pre-bookable appointments please contact the practice from 14th November 2018 to book your slot.
Under 65 Flu injection (Currently Available)
Quadrivalent Flu Clinics will be running on the following dates no appointment required.
- Thursday 1st November, 12:30 – 14:00
- Monday 12th November, 15:30 – 18:00
- Tuesday 13th November, 18:30 – 20:00